The University of Stellenbosch Water Institute strives to:
- Focus on water research that optimally takes advantage of the benefits and synergy available from the large number of experts on campus;
- Build human capacity within the water community;
- Compete on a high level for significant projects;
- Be a recognized national asset in the area of water research;
- Be involved in technology transfer; and
- Take the lead in programmes identifying solutions for regional, provincial and local needs and also by coordinating with policy makers.
The strength of water research at Stellenbosch University (SU) lies in the interdisciplinary nature of the research, the substantial research income the University has already received from the water industry and a good track record with regard to published results, reports, innovation and technology transfer. SU also has an established network of nationally and internationally acclaimed researchers. These researchers have strong strategic alliances, with for instance the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), and SU alumni.
View NEPAD Water Centres of Excellence Network in a larger map